Revolution Design software has been created to be easy for BIM managers to deploy to a large groups of users. Follow the instructions below to set up a deployment.
This page describes the process for an initial deployment and install to a new machine. If you are trying to deploy new settings to users that already have the program the process is very similar but can be found on the settings management page.
= Important Note
Settings XML file
Creating the Settings File
In order to deploy settings and licensing you need to start by creating the XML settings file that you will deploy. For more information on this process, see the settings management page.
Creating the Deployment
If you are creating a silent install via Microsoft SCCM or similar, you can do so with the main exe installer. The exe file will honor any passive switches available to the embedded msi package (including all standard msi switches like /passive). If you would like to extract the msi to look at the parameters directly you can do so by running the following command line:
“<Path to Exe>” /extract:”<Directory to Extract To>”
Note that the directory you are trying to extract to must exist already, the extraction will not create it. Note also that this msi is intended to read parameters from and should not be used for installation purposes; installs should be run from the exe directly through a command line instead of from an msi through msiexec.
The exe recognizes the following parameters in addition to the standard parameters:
- Revit version – You can select which Revit versions to install by typing the revit version and setting it to 0 (not installed) or 1 (installed). So to turn off Revit 2020 you would use REVIT2020=0 in the command line.
- Install Directory – Use APPDIR to set the installation directory for the program (this is an msi standard but it’s worth noting.
- Keynote Manager also recognizes the following properties (turn on and off with the 0/1 switch):
- STANDALONE – The standalone application.
- INTEGRATED – The Revit Integrated application.
- CLOUDCONNECTOR – If the application should be installed as cloud connector (read only connection to cloud based keynotes). Note that if this is set to 1 the standalone option is not relevant and will be off automatically.
All unspecified parameters will be set to the default value shown when you run the exe installer directly, you are only required to set the parameters that you would like to change from the default.
If you are not creating a silent install or are trying to script the installer in some other form, you may simply use the downloaded exe installer.
Once the settings file is ready to deploy, it must be deployed to end user machines; this can be done via manual copy or through a script or other deployment system that copies the file to the target machine. The settings file can be copied to several locations with slightly different results; locations are shown on the settings management page.